Monday, November 21, 2011

Inspiration out of an old dress

I went to my mother's house on Saturday to pick up a couple of things (and forget a couple more... whoops!).  While I was there, I came across the remnants of a dress my father had bought for me, about five-and-a-half years ago.  I had just started my job at the credit union, and he was so proud of me, he bought me a lovely cotton dress, off-white and brown with a brown lining.  It fit like a dream, save for the shoulders (my shoulders are entirely too small for my upper half!) so I had to do a bit of tailoring.

I wore that dress constantly, in any season, with this accessory or that (at one time, I wore it every Friday with a lovely, hand knotted scarf from Afghanistan, a gift from soldiers whom I'd send a Christmas care package to) and changed it up depending on the occasion and season.  However, over time, there was wear and tear.  The zipper gave way, the hem began to fray, and (most heart breaking of all) I caught the dress on a counter at work which had lost the corner piece of formica.  Needless to say it took everything into me not to let a curse word loose as I found the quarter sized hole the snag left.

When I realized the dress needed more repairs than I could sanely give, I decided to cut it up and use it.  When I moved, back in July, I put that project on the back burner.  Finding it again at Momma's house, I decided I'd use it.  It will be made into various things.  An ornament for our Christmas tree, a pincushion (and perhaps I will sell the other one I made!), the lining of a new purse, maybe even a pocket or trim for an apron.

I loved that dress immensly, both for the wonderful craftsmanship and beautiful fabric, as well as the memories it held.  But, knowing that I can use it for things to keep those memories going, the Friday dress will still bring smiles!  And, I think that's what matters to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment